Skip to Content
Home | news | Press Releases

Press Releases

Dingell, Tlaib Announce $2.3 Million for Dearborn Flood Recovery Costs

DEARBORN, Mich. – Representatives Debbie Dingell (MI-06) and Rashida Tlaib (MI-12) today announced the City of Dearborn has received $2,370,160 from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for response costs related to the severe storms and flooding in June 2021.
“Over the summer of 2021, Dearborn experienced severe storms that led to devastating flooding, power outages, and significant damage to homes and businesses,” said Dingell. “We can be sure another once-in-a-lifetime disaster will strike again. As our area experiences a growing number of severe weather events, this FEMA funding will help Dearborn build more resilient infrastructure to ensure we are better prepared for future storms.” 

“We are living with the devastating effects of the climate crisis, and our residents are experiencing it firsthand. The mass flooding in the summer of 2021 caused severe damage to our communities in Dearborn, flooding homes, damaging small businesses, and displacing our residents," said Tlaib. "I am proud to announce that FEMA will send $2.3 million to Dearborn to invest in climate resilience. As these severe storms become more frequent, this funding is essential in preventing future flood damage by upgrading our city’s infrastructure.”
“FEMA’s Public Assistance Program is an important resource for communities when an emergency occurs,” said FEMA Region 5 Regional Administrator Tom Sivak. “This grant helped fund the removal of debris that posed immediate threats to the community’s health and safety and supported the city’s efforts to protect the lives and property of residents.”
“The city of Dearborn has done a great job with its recovery efforts,” said Capt. Kevin Sweeney, deputy state director of Emergency Management and commander of the MSP/EMHSD. “This federal funding will further the progress as it helps restore the city’s budget, freeing up additional resources that could be used to prevent future flood damage through mitigation efforts.”
FEMA provides a 90 percent federal share of eligible reimbursable expenses for this project. The eligible cost for this project is $2,633,511. The remaining 10 percent will be paid by the state of Michigan. FEMA’s Public Assistance Program provides funding to local government jurisdictions and eligible private non-profits for the repair, replacement, or restoration of disaster-damaged infrastructure as well as costs incurred for debris removal, disaster cleanup and emergency actions taken to protect lives or property.  To learn more, visit FEMA’s website.

Back to top