Skip to Content
Home | flood resources | Flood Resources

Flood Resources

On June 25th, 2021, Southeastern Michigan experienced historic flooding that led to horrific damage throughout the 12th Congressional District. In Dearborn alone, potentially as many as 20,000 homes were damaged by the floods. Working closely with the Governor and Biden Administration, we were able to secure a Presidential Disaster Declaration for Wayne and Washtenaw Counties, which will allow residents to receive relief and support from FEMA. Below are FAQs about next steps in the process of securing assistance from FEMA if your home has been damaged.

*Updated 08/03/2021

FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers

FEMA Disaster Recovery Center (DRC)
16301 Michigan Ave
WAYNE County

Hours of Operation

Sunday 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Monday 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Tuesday 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Wednesday 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Thursday 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Friday 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Saturday 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM

Available Services

  • General Information
  • Web Registration
  • Federal Other
  • Small Business Association (SBA) Business Loan
  • Small Business Association (SBA) Home Loan
  • State/Local Other

FEMA Disaster Recovery Center (DRC)
4900 Pardee Ave
WAYNE County

Hours of Operation

Sunday 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Monday 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Tuesday 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Wednesday 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Thursday 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Friday 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Saturday 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM

Available Services

  • General Information
  • Media Center
  • Web Registration
  • Federal Other
  • Small Business Association (SBA) Business Loan
  • Small Business Association (SBA) Home Loan
  • State/Local Other

FEMA Document Drop Off Center (DDC)
17320 Mack Ave
WAYNE County

Hours of Operation

Sunday 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Monday 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Tuesday 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Wednesday 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Thursday 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Friday 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Saturday 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
FEMA Document Drop Off Center (DDC)
7200 S. Huron River Dr

Hours of Operation

Sunday 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Monday 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Tuesday 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Wednesday 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Thursday 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Friday 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Saturday 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM

At the centers, representatives from FEMA, the U.S. Small Business Administration, Michigan State Police, Emergency Management and Homeland Security Division, and other state agencies are available to explain disaster assistance programs, answer questions about written correspondence and provide literature about repairs and rebuilding to make homes more disaster resistant. A state-run, multi-agency resource center is also co-located with the recovery center in Dearborn, where additional state and local resources will be available. Individuals do not have to visit a recovery center to register or receive federal assistance. These centers provide a location for applicants to submit documentation or discuss their case in-person with a FEMA representative. Before visiting a recovery center, survivors should register for federal assistance one of the following ways:

• Online at;

• Using the FEMA App; or

• Calling 800-621-3362 (including 711 or Video Relay). TTY users can call 800-462-7585.

The toll-free numbers are open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. ET, seven days a week. Multilingual operators are available.

Officials will be available to residents 7am to 7pm, 7 days per week. No appointment necessary.

Anyone requiring a reasonable accommodation (ASL interpreting, Braille, Large print, etc.) may call 800-621-3362 to request assistance in advance or ask the recovery staff at the center for assistance. Applicants and staff in the recovery centers will be required to follow CDC COVID-19 safety guidance.

For more information about Michigan’s recovery, visit FEMA assistance is currently available to residents in Washtenaw and Wayne counties. The deadline for individuals to apply for disaster assistance is Sept. 13, 2021.

As flood resources from local, state, and federal officials quickly evolves, my office and I are working to continuously update our FAQs to ensure you receive the most up-to-date information available on obtaining flood assistance from FEMA.

Please find below a list of updated FAQs – since our last update on 7/16/2021 – that our office has compiled in coordination with FEMA officials, particularly regarding the process after you complete your registration.

FAQ: Michigan Flooding & FEMA Assistance

How do I apply for FEMA assistance?

  • Individuals in Washtenaw and Wayne Counties can apply with FEMA the following ways:

What documents do I need to open a FEMA assistance case?

  • To register with FEMA, you will need your household address, insurance information (if available), current contact information, your social security number and description of the damage.

Do I need to be a U.S. citizen to apply for FEMA assistance?

  • To register for FEMA assistance, at least one person in your household must be a U.S. citizen, even if that person is a minor.

How long will this process take to upload my documents?

  • If you have all the correct documentation, it should take about 10 minutes to open and submit a case.

Do I need to take pictures of the damage to be considered for FEMA assistance?

  • No, FEMA does not require photos of the damage to be considered for any assistance, though cost estimates and/or receipts for the damaged items is helpful.

What happens after I complete my FEMA registration?

  • If you report your home is not livable, sanitary and safe when you register, it may be necessary for FEMA to perform an inspection of the damaged property. FEMA inspectors will contact you to meet at the address where the damage was reported. Due to COVID-19, inspections are being conducted from outside of your home, with the inspector following current CDC guidance. The inspector will not enter the home and will validate what happened by questioning you about the damage. If applicants have the necessary technology, the inspector will ask to do a video verification of disaster-caused damage by using their mobile device to walk through the home.   
  • After your home inspection has taken place, a record of the disaster-caused damage is given to FEMA. From that record your eligibility for disaster assistance will be determined.
  • After eligibility is determined, individuals who opt for direct deposit FEMA payments may receive the relief in as little as 24 hours.  Individuals who opt for checks or additional options will receive the relief in 10-14 days after eligibility is determined.
  • Continue to stay in contact with FEMA via 1-800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462-7585) regarding your case and for any appeals.

What do I do if I discover more damage to my home from the late June floods after my inspection?

  • Call the FEMA Helpline at 1-800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462-7585) to report the additional damage and update your case.  

Is the FEMA assistance the same as flood insurance?

  • No, FEMA assistance is limited to costs to make your home livable, sanitary and safe.  

Can my small business receive FEMA assistance?

Understanding your FEMA letter and appeal options.

Survivors who registered with FEMA for disaster assistance following the June severe storms and flooding will receive a letter explaining FEMA’s eligibility decision and the reason for that decision.

Decision Letters: What You Should Know

For those who are eligible, your FEMA letter states the dollar amount of the grant and how the funds should be used.

If you are ineligible for FEMA assistance, read your FEMA decision letter carefully because it specifies why you are ineligible and recommends actions that may change the decision. You may need to provide additional information or documents. If a mistake has been made, you should let FEMA know right away by calling the FEMA Helpline at 800- 621-3362 (TTY 800-462-7585) or visiting a Disaster Recovery or Document Drop-off Center.

Common reasons for ineligibility may include:

1.     Insurance.

  •  Federal assistance cannot duplicate insurance payments. However, if you reported having insurance, but it didn’t cover the damage to your home or pay for all essential repairs, you can submit your insurance settlement records to FEMA for review.

2.     No proof of occupancy.

  • You were unable to demonstrate you occupied the home at the time of the disaster. When FEMA is unable to verify this information, you may provide FEMA with documents such as utility bills, a bank or credit card statement, pay stubs, a driver’s license, state-issued ID card, or voter registration card. Any document provided must include your name and address.

3.     Identity verification

  • If FEMA is unable to verify your identity during the application process, you will be required to submit supporting documents, such as a Social Security card (along with a federal or state-issued ID), employer’s payroll document containing full or last four digits of your social security number, military identification, marriage license to confirm proof of maiden name, or U.S. passport

4.     Verification of home ownership

  • If FEMA is unable to verify homeownership through automated public and government records, you will be required to submit supporting documentation. A supporting document may include, but is not limited to, a deed or title, home purchase contract (excludes rent-to-own contract), mortgage documentation, homeowner’s insurance documentation, property tax receipt, property tax bill, manufactured home certificate or title, or last will and testament (and death certificate) naming the applicant heir to the property. Receipts for major repairs or maintenance may be acceptable if no other documentation exists. Any documentation provided must contain the address of the property for which the FEMA claim is being submitted.

5.     Insufficient damage.

  • An inspector determined the damage caused by the current disaster has not made your home unsafe to live in. Your home was determined to be safe, sanitary and functional. If you disagree with the home inspector’s decision, you can appeal. Get third-party documentation in writing (bid for repairs, condemnation notice, etc.) that states/supports your home is uninhabitable.

  Appealing a FEMA Decision

Everyone has the right to appeal a FEMA decision. An appeal must be filed in the form of a signed letter, by the applicant, within 60 days of the date on the decision letter. In the appeal, explain why you disagree with the decision. Include any requested information and supporting documentation. Be sure to include the following:

·        Applicant’s full name, date of birth and current address

·        Applicant’s signature and the date

·        Applicant’s registration number (on every page)

·        FEMA disaster declaration number DR-4607 (on every page)

You must include a copy of your state-issued ID, have the letter notarized or include the statement “I hereby declare under penalty of perjury that the foregoing is true and correct.” If the person writing the appeal letter is not the applicant or a member of the applicant’s household, a statement must be included granting the writer authorization to act on your behalf.

Appeal letters and supporting documentation can be uploaded quickly to your account on or faxed to 800-827-8112. Please ensure all faxes include the cover sheet provided with your FEMA decision letter.

Your appeal may also be submitted at a Disaster Recovery Center or Document Drop-off Center where staff are also available to assist you with ensuring all necessary documents are included. Individuals can find their nearest recovery or document drop-off center by visiting Appeals can also be mailed to:

FEMA National Processing Service Center
P.O. Box 10055
Hyattsville, MD 20782-8055

Individuals may always contact the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462-7585) if they have any questions about their disaster assistance options.

Spanish & Arabic Language Resources

Spanish Language Information
Arabic Language Information

If you cannot find the answer to your question here, please contact my office so that we may work with officials to get you an answer as soon as possible.

Call my office at 313-278-2936 or email us here.

Please continue to listen to local authorities on safety precautions, take photos and estimate the cost of your damages, and report it and any flooding to:

📞Dearborn: Please call 313-943-3030

📞Dearborn Heights: Please visit
*Are you a Senior Citizen or a Disabled Dearborn Heights Resident that needs help? Please fill out the 2021 Assistance Form:

📞Wayne County: Please find your local community's contact information below.

Allen Park 313-928-1470 15915 Southfield Road, Allen Park, MI 48101
Belleville 734-252-4303 6 Main Street, Belleville, MI 48111
Brownstown Township 734-675-0071 21313 Telegraph Road, Brownstown, MI 48183
Canton Township 734-394-5185 1150 S. Canton Center Road, Canton Twp, MI 48188
Dearborn Heights 313-791-3490 Ext. #7 6045 Fenton Street, Dearborn Heights, MI 48127
Dearborn 313-943-2300 16901 Michigan Avenue, Dearborn, MI 48126
Detroit 313-386-2410 2 Woodward aVenue Suite 1126, Detroit, MI 48226
Ecorse 313-386-2410 Ext. #1 3869 W. Jefferson Avenue, Ecorse, MI 48229
Flat Rock 734-782-2455 Ext. #6 25500 Gibraltar Road, Flat Rock, MI 48134
Garden City 734-793-1660 6000 Middlebelt Road, Garden City, MI 48135
Gibraltar 734-676-3900 29450 Munro Street, Gibraltar, MI 48173
Grosse Ile Township 734-676-4422 Ext. #1 9601 Groh Road, Grosse Ile, MI 48138
Grosse Pointe 313-885-5800 17147 Maumee Avenue, Grosse Pointe, MI 48230
Grosse Pointe Farms 313-885-6600 90 Kirby Road, Grosse Pointe Farms, MI 48236
Grosse Pointe Park 313-822-6200 15115 E. Jefferson, Grosse Pointe Park, MI 48230
Grosse Pointe Shores 313-881-6565 795 Lake Shore Road, Grosse Pointe Shores, MI 48236
Grosse Pointe Woods 313-343-2308 20025 Mack Plaza Drive, Grosse Pointe Woods, MI 48236
Hamtramck 313-800-5233 3401 Evaline, Hamtramck, MI 48212
Harper Woods 313-343-2440 19617 Harper Avenue, Harper Woods, MI 48225
Highland Park 313-252-0050 Ext. #240 12050 Woodward Avenue, Highland Park, MI 48203
Huron Township 734-753-4466 Ext. #117 22950 Huron River Drive, Huron Township, MI 48164
Inkster 313-563-4232 26215 Trowbridge Streeet, Inkster, MI 48141
Lincoln Park 313-386-1800 Ext. #1231 1355 Southfield Road, Lincoln Park, MI 48146
Livonia 734-466-2201 33000 Civic Center Drive, Livonia, MI 48154
Melvindale 313-429-1051 3100 Oakwood Blvd, Melvindale, MI 48122
Northville 248-349-1300 Ext. #8 215 West Main Street, Northville, MI 48167
Northville Township 248-348-5800 44405 Six Mile Road, Northville Township, MI 48170
Plymouth 734-453-1234 201 South Main Street, Plymouth, MI 48170
Plymouth Township 734-453-3840 Ext. #9 9955 N. Haggerty Road, Plymouth Township, MI 48170
Redford Township 313-387-2761 15145 Beech Daly Road, Redford Township, MI 48239
River Rouge 313-842-4200 10600 West Jefferson Avenue, River Rouge, MI 48218
Riverview 734-281-4201 14100 Civic Park Drive, Riverview, MI 48193
Rockwood 734-379-9496 32409 Fort Road, Rockwood, MI 48173
Romulus 734-942-7571 11111 Wayne Road, Romulus, MI 48174
Southgate 734-258-3022 14400 Dix Toledo Road, Southgate, MI 48195
Sumpter Township 734-461-6201 Ext. #12227 23480 Sumpter Road, Sumpter Township, MI 48111
Taylor 734-287-6550 23555 Goddard Road, Taylor, MI 48180
Trenton 734-675-6500 2800 Third Street, Trenton, MI 48183
Van Buren Township 734-699-9200 46425 Tyler Road, Van Buren Township, MI 48111
Wayne 734-722-2000 3355 South Wayne Road, Wayne, MI 48184
Westland 734-467-3200 36300 Warren Road, Westland, MI 48185
Woodhaven 734-675-3000 Ext. 8 21869 West Road, Woodhaven, MI 48183
Wyandotte 734-324-4540 Ext. 7 3200 Biddle Avenue, Wyandotte, MI 48192

Do not call 9-1-1 to report flood damage.

We will keep you updated as we get additional contact information for each affected area in MI-12.

To assist with insurance claims, take an inventory of valuable and belongings, including pictures of video (do we mean pictures or videos?). Vehicle owners should report damages to their auto insurance company.

As the storms continue this week, remember to bring any valuables to higher ground and protect any paperwork, photos, and other items from water damage. Please be sure to stay safe and follow these tips from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.

During Floods:

  • Turn off utilities if instructed to do so. Disconnect all electrical equipment. 
  • Do not walk-through moving water. Six inches is enough water to knock you down. 
  • Do not drive in flooded areas. Six inches of water can cause you to lose control and two feet of water can sweep away your car. Remember: Turn around, don’t drown. 
  • Listen to local media reports for information about if the water supply is safe to drink. 
  • Stay out of flood waters because they can be contaminated by hazardous liquids and may contain sharp debris.
  • Report and stay 25 feet away from downed power lines.

After Floodwaters Recede:

  • Use caution when reentering a home or building that has been flooded. Return home during the day so you do not have to use lights. Leave the area immediately and call the gas company or police or the fire department if you smell gas or suspect a leak.
  • Be aware of your surroundings. Avoid electrical lines, debris, insects, and wild or stray animals.
  • If returning home, follow these CDC cleaning recommendations for washing and sanitizing flooded areas of the home.

View the full MDHHS Flood Safety Guidance here.

There have also been reports of serious price gouging for certain goods due to the floods. Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel’s office is asking for residents to report any price gouging to the AG’s office using the online consumer complaint form or by calling 1-877-765-8388.

Back to top